How good are Philips TV, is Philips a good TV brand
Many outside Europe are not aware of the Phillips brand and most non Europeans ask "is Philips TV a good brand?'. Philips Electronics have been in the electronic industry far longer than today's Korean manufacturers LG and Samsung. Philips has been in the forefront of TV development from its early days and has many innovations to its name, like for example the DVD player which it developed together with Sony. A visit to the Philips website and its history will easily convince most that Philips is a good brand.
On this page we have the following topics regarding Philips TV. Please click on any of the items in the following list to take you directly to that topic
- What do Philips TV Model numbers mean
- Philips Ambilight Spectra 3
- Philips Perfect Pixel HD Engine
- Philips LED Pro and Bright Pro
- Philips 400 Hz Clear LCD
Philips introduced its unique Ambilight Spectra 3, a patented Philips technology, which enlarges the screen by projecting a glow of light, on the 3 sides of the TV, from the back of the screen onto the surrounding wall. More on this at the end of this page, but first about an explanation of what Philips Model Numbers mean.
The Philips TV Models consists of Series from the 4000 series to the 9000 series. The higher the number the better the TV. The 9000 series, for example , has active shutter 3D, with Philips Ambilight technology and a 400Hz display. The 7000 series has 100Hz display and the passive 3D range.
Examples of Philips model numbers are 40PFL9705H/12; 55PFL6556/V7; 42PFL5556/V7. The first 2 numbers obviously means the screen size in inches. The next 3 letters "PFL" = LCD TV and "PFP" = Plasma TV. Then four numbers follow: xxxx = Model Number with 4xxx bottom range, 7xxx middle range and 9xxx top of range. Of the four numbers the first one indicates the series (4=4000, 7=7000 and so on) the last two of the 4 numbers stands for the region or country for which the TV is meant.
In the Philips 2012 TV models, this is what the last 2 of the 4 numbers stands for:
- 02 = Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Turkey.
- 05 = UK & Ireland
- 08 = Italy
- 10 =whole Europe
- 12 = continental Europe (excl. UK & IRL)
- 27 = U.S.A., Canada, Puerto Rico, U.S.Virgin Islands
- 30/93/98 = Southeast Asia
- 37 = U.S.A., Canada
- 56/94 = Pakistan, India
- 58 = Eastern Europe
- 60 = Russia, Eastern Europe (former USSR countries).
- 77 = Argentina ,Paraguay, Uruguay
- 78 = Brasil
- 79 = China, Middle East, Thailand
- 93 = India ,Thailand ,Vietnam ,Korea, China
- 98 = India, Pakistan, Malaysia, Tajwan, Philippines, Middle East, Africa
- 97 = Australia , New Zeeland
- 00 = Universal
Folowing the four numbers is a letter which stands for the type of TV tuner fitted and has the following meanings
- - - no letter indicates that the model has only an analog tuner
- D = DVB-T (MPEG2) + analogue
- H = DVB-T/C (MPEG-4.HD AVC)
- C = DVB-T/C design tv /7605?/ http://www.philips.com/designyourtv
- M = DVB-T/C/S/S2 (MPEG4) MHP(Multimedia Home Platform), MHEG (system used in Italy).
- T =DVB-T/T2/C (MPEG4) - Freeview HD
- S =DVB-T (MPEG2)
- SB = DVB-T1 (MPEG4)
Ambilight Spectra 3 is a patented Philips technology which enlarges the screen by projecting a glow of light, on the 3 sides of the TV, from the back of the screen onto the surrounding wall. Ambilight automatically adjusts the colour and brightness of the light to match the picture, creating an immersive viewing experience. The wall-adaptive function ensures that the colour of the light always matches the picture, no matter what the colour your wall is. So with Ambilight you get a bigger picture.
In Perfect Pixel HD Engine every pixel of the TV picture is enhanced to better match the surrounding pixels to give a natural picture. This results in very sharp pictures with extra vivid colours, superior contrast and smooth motion.
LED Pro and Bright Pro uses local dimming to give high quality pictures but use only about 50% energy. There are over 1000 LEDs which are operated individually as the backlight and are dimmed completely in dark areas to saving energy and at the same time to improve the contrast ratio.
400 Hz Clear LCD displays 400 scenes per second and enables sharp pictures even in fast action scenes like sports events.
Please visit our other pages for latest TV Model Numbers and special TV features of:
- Click any TV brand below for their model numbering logic
- LG 2013 TV Model Numbers explained
- Panasonic 2013 TV Model Numbers explained
- Philips 2013 TV Model Numbers explained
- Samsung 2013 TV Model Numbers Explained
- Sharp TV Model Numbers explained
- Sony 2013 TV Model Numbers explained
- Yamaha Soundbars: the superb surround sound system for flat TV
Buying TV online
These days buying a TV on line makes more sense, because of the many advantages. You get to buy the TV without much hassle online and the courier Company delivers to your door. If you want installation, it can usually be ordered online at the time of purchase, most of the time included in the price or there may be a very small extra charge. The price of TVs online from Amazon will be cheaper than what is available in your local stores. Service and Warranty are as good as or even better than if you bought it at a local store. The best part is that in case you are not satisfied with the TV, you can return it and get full refund and Amazon will arrange for the courier to pick up the returned item from you.
Links to buy TV online from Amazon
This is the Link to buy TV online from Amazon CANADA
This is the Link to buy TV online from Amazon INDIA
This is the Link to buy TV online from Amazon UK
This is the Link to buy TV online from Amazon USA
Below are Links to all pages on this website www.WhatTVs.com:
Basics Knowledge of TV Sets
- Home page
- TV Specifications explained
- TV Resolution explained
- HDTV features
- 4K ULTRA HD or 4K UHD TV
- Latest TV Features
- 3D TV worth it?
- Curved TV how good?
Types of TV screens
Best TV Brands in the world
- Best TV Brands
- LG, Samsung or Sony TV better
- LG TV Models explained
- PANASONIC TV Models
- PHILIPS TV models
- SAMSUNG 2015-2016 TVs
- SAMSUNG Old TV Models
- SHARP TV Models
- SONY TV Model numbering